Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page > Buying a Pre Paid Phone at Walmart which is GSM and can be unlocked?

Buying a Pre Paid Phone at Walmart which is GSM and can be unlocked?

Old Oct 5, 09, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Buying a Pre Paid Phone at Walmart which is GSM and can be unlocked?

Hi. I need to purchase a cheap unlocked phone. Can I buy one of the walmart phones that are prepaid from Tmobile or ATT or Virgin and unlock it? Is the unlock easy to do or do I need a special code?

Thank you
Old Oct 5, 09, 5:28 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Phones from Virgin (USA) will NOT be GSM as they are CDMA.

What countries are you planning to use the unlocked phone in?
Old Oct 5, 09, 6:32 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Starriot Plat
Some phones can be unlocked using various methods found on-line (punching in a bunch of codes). You may need to write down the model numbers and do a Google search to see if WM carries any of those models.
Old Oct 5, 09, 7:02 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Most of the prepaid phones at Wal-Mart are pretty well locked down. I'd suggest going online or finding a better phone store.
Old Oct 6, 09, 9:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
I noticed yesterday that J&R (in NYC) had unlocked phones for as little as $30. I don't remember if those were suitable for use outside the US though.
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:16 am

Programs: AB Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, BA Blue, Hotels.com Silver
Originally Posted by iwebslinger View Post
Hi. I need to purchase a cheap unlocked phone.
Unlocking the cheapest PAYG Phones is usually not worth it.

May I ask why / what for you need to unlock it?
Where (country and network) do you want to use it, where else (other than in US) could you buy it?
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
If your intent in buying a GSM phone and unlocking it is to use a SIM card from another country's provider when you travel, you will find that most, if not all, of the prepaid phones won't work for this purpose. You might try searching eBay for an already unlocked GSM phone, but make sure it isn't one of the Walmart prepaid brands, which won't work internationally with a foreign SIM card, even when unlocked. (I've had that unfortunate experience.) Your other option is to buy an unlocked GMS phone from a reputable dealer, or buy a prepaid phone when you arrive at your destination.
Old Oct 7, 09, 1:29 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
How about something basic (but still quad-band) like this phone from Anazon.com:

http://amazon.com/Motorola-Motof...939877&sr=8-12

It ships free (5-9 days). If you are outside the U.S., you could have it shipped to youself in care of your hotel.
Old Oct 9, 09, 1:17 am

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
You can also check out the refurb section of AT&T's GoPhones.

I've purchased a couple of quad-band Sony Ericsson W350 which is a pretty good deal at $39.99. The phones come in perfect physical condition and can be unlocked quite easily via eBay. They ship for free via Fedex 2-dayand come with the original charger.

http://wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku3820279

They are quadband, can take memory cards, and are pretty small.

You can also pickup a first gen iPhone 4GB for about $120 on eBay/craigslist which can be unlocked via iclarified.com for free.
Old Oct 9, 09, 6:49 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Google is still your friend!

If you go for a nokia, you can unlock it here:
http://gsmliberty.net/shop/nokia_unlock.php
SE phone is here:
http://akshayy.com/sonyericsson/...020-se-phones/

Simple as that!
Old Oct 10, 09, 4:54 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
I've had great success with unlocked GSM world phones from tigerdirect.ca but if you're US based I'd try their us site at tigerdirect.com

I have three Motorola Perl unlocked GSM world phones that we bought from them: one for me, one for my wife and one for my son. The phones from tigerdirect sometimes come with a european or UK plug on the charger, so you might need a simple plug adaptor, but since we'd had motorola phones before, we simply reused the chargers we already had.

mpc1
Old Oct 10, 09, 6:04 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Rukor View Post
Google is still your friend!
In these matters Google is not your friend as it will generate page after page of commercial and scam sites. And when it comes to Nokia devices Google is your enemy as you get only three attempts at unlocking and much of the information is eurocentric and outdated.
Old Oct 10, 09, 6:18 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Nowadays when it comes to unlocking, try one of these first.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12167

Looking at the Wal-Mart website, using my zipcode I am seeing GSM wise:

Samsung A177: Yes
Samsung Impact: Yes
Nokia 2760: Not Practically
Nokia 1661: No
Samsung T349: Not Practically
Nokia 2619: Yes
Nokia 2680: Not Practically
Motorola V3: Not Worth $99
Samsung A167: Yes
Samsung A137: Yes

Tracfone's can be unlocked - but it is pointless because their still loaded with proprietary firmware and typically not flashable.

Last edited by Error 601; Jan 27, 13 at 6:51 pm
Old Oct 11, 09, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Most T-mobile phones can be unlocked free of charge, but you have to have owned the phone for at least 90 days, and have refilled within the past 30 days.

After that you just need to give them a call and they will give you the unlock code.

Google is your friend for finding further details - there's a page on their website, and plenty of information on other forums.
Old Oct 12, 09, 2:36 am
Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
How about something basic (but still quad-band) like this phone from Anazon.com:

http://amazon.com/Motorola-Motof...939877&sr=8-12

It ships free (5-9 days). If you are outside the U.S., you could have it shipped to youself in care of your hotel.
FWIW, that phone appears to be dual-band (ignoring the incorrect description); GSM850/1900, so of marginal use outside the U.S.A.

Minimally the OP would probably need a phone capable of supporting GSM900 and GSM1900, which typically come in tri-band formats.