Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page > Has anyone used Walgreens passport photos for a UK passport?
Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone used Walgreens passport photos for a UK passport?

Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 14, 2:04 pm

After doing a little research and making some calls, my local Walgreens tells me that they have a default size setting for United Kingdom passport photos. That sounds great, however some of my research indicates that acceptance of these photos can be hit or miss at times. Does anyone have any experience with the Walgreens UK passport photos or any other suggestions on where to get them done here in the PHL area?

Thanks in advance!

Note: UK passport photos are supposed to be 45mm high X 35mm wide. US photos are 50.8mm X 50.8mm (2" X 2")

Last edited by gpf590; Nov 15, 14 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 15, 14, 2:13 pm
TBD

Programs: All the programs
I was fine with a Walgreens photo for a Russian visa which, I'd assume, is even more strict than UK.
Old Nov 15, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA, HH, Marriott, Various Others

I used a CVS (and their UK size setting) for a UK passport renewal about a month ago with no issues (and a very quick turnaround from the UK) if it helps.
Old Nov 15, 14, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by CLTPete View Post
I used a CVS (and their UK size setting) for a UK passport renewal about a month ago with no issues (and a very quick turnaround from the UK) if it helps.
Thanks, good to know and I'm going to bet that Walgreens is pretty much the same. Oddly, my local CVS told me that they can only do 2" X 2" photos, maybe photo capabilities vary by store.?
Old Nov 15, 14, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Kryptonium Medallion, UA, Starbucks Gold

It depends on the location and how frequently they get requests for non-US passport pictures. Canada has a different format than the US so many locations will be aware that different sizes are required. Some stores will give you the entire sheet for the agency or you to cut as you wish.
Old Nov 15, 14, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Used Walgreens photos to renew my UK passport ~6 months ago. UK passport office never said a thing about them not being the right size.
Old Nov 16, 14, 3:07 pm
Fly book Evangelist

i just got a cvs photo. was probably 3" x 3" or so in raw. the person put it into a cutter, centered it, and cut it down to std us passport size. i think one could get the raw photo, and cut it to correct size.
Old Nov 16, 14, 3:20 pm

I used Walgreens with no problems.
Old Nov 16, 14, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
If you have an existing photo that meets the parameters (or you just want to save some money), you can do it online and then just print it out at Walgreens for 29 cents or something ridiculous. https://persofoto.com/upload/
Old Nov 17, 14, 11:57 am
Fly book Evangelist

The biggest issue is that the UK passport pictures have to be taken against a cream or light grey background, many Canadian / US places only have white, and it is one of the reasons that the photograph will be refused. In terms of size / ratio etc. I've not had any issue with them being able to follow it https://gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Make sure, too, that they don't stamp the photograph (it is the standard way of doing it in Canada, I have to reiterate I do NOT want it stamping by them).
Old Nov 17, 14, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
The biggest issue is that the UK passport pictures have to be taken against a cream or light grey background,
They took mine which were done against a pale blue background. And the wrong size. Maybe I just got lucky.
Old Nov 17, 14, 3:20 pm

Thanks all! I'll be going to Walgreens tomorrow as I went to two local ones yesterday and both had broken printers!!! Going to be fixed sometime today.
Old Jan 17, 16, 11:36 am

My apologies for reviving an old thread, but this is the exact situation I'm in and I'm kind of freaking out =-0

It's already been stated that Walgreens has the size setting for UK passport photos but only does white backgrounds. I've read stories on this website and elsewhere of some people that have had no problems with the white background and some people that have had their photos rejected because of the white background.

I simply don't have the time to go through my first photos being rejected. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent reports of their experiences?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:17 pm
Fly book Evangelist

You may have more luck with a photography studio that has more than one background - this is what I ended up doing when I renewed my passport photo - the place that I went to had a white background as standard, but had a place where they do kids pictures in the back which had several different colours, so we just relocated in there to do them. Took a while longer, as they had to set it up to be the right proportions, but worked out well, no issues with the passport agency.
Old Jan 19, 16, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm), UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had the same problem last week. My friend told me he cut down US size photos and that was accepted - despite the application telling you not to do that. I didn't want to risk sending the package to the UK and getting rejected (having paid up front) so I found a studio to do it properly.

Your signature doesn't state where you are but I got mine done here:-

Doi Camera
51 E 46th St, New York, NY 10017

5 minute turnaround for $27.50 - so rather more expensive than FedEx/Kinkos

They do all sorts of sizes to follow various countries rules.

BTW : My wife is renewing her Irish passport and the consulate told her to just get US size photos and they would cut them down for her. Nice that they are flexible.