Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page > Turkish Airlines Qs. about e-ticket, check-in and baggage.

Turkish Airlines Qs. about e-ticket, check-in and baggage.

Old Nov 8, 13, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Turkish Airlines Qs. about e-ticket, check-in and baggage.

Greetings to all!

I would like to ask a few questions about the E-ticket of Turkish Airlines.Recently i bought a ticket from Turkish Airlines and i realised that it is electronic.This is the first time i will be using an electronic ticket and flying with Turkish Airlines so i right now i am a little confused.

After i booked the flight they send me an email with title ''Turkish Airlines Online Ticket - Information Message‏''.In the email there is my reservation code,the ticket number and the flight number.The email also says that my ticket has been issued as an electronic ticket and that i will not receive a paper ticket.

So that means that when is the time to board on plane i don't need to have any papers with me?Only my ID?The strange thing is that when i go to the official site at the online services there is an option that says ''View my E-ticket''.There i can see a document that could be used as an actual ticket.Don't i have to print that?

One other thing is that there are many check-in options and i am confused as to which i should use.There is the self check in option which i dont think i could use since the airport from which i will depart doesn't have a Turkish Airlines machine.There is the check in online which says i can check in 24 hours before the flight.Also i think i can check in on a desk at the airport right?Are all the check in options the same?

Last thing i want to ask is about my baggage.My ticket says that i have the option of Free Baggage Allowance until 20kg but it doesn't specify if i can have it with me on my cabin or i should leave it at a drop desk.If i remember correctly when i was booking my ticket i didn't even had a choice

Sorry for the many questions but i am really confused......
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:41 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rossi72 View Post
Greetings to all!

I would like to ask a few questions about the E-ticket of Turkish Airlines.Recently i bought a ticket from Turkish Airlines and i realised that it is electronic.This is the first time i will be using an electronic ticket and flying with Turkish Airlines so i right now i am a little confused.

After i booked the flight they send me an email with title ''Turkish Airlines Online Ticket - Information Message‏''.In the email there is my reservation code,the ticket number and the flight number.The email also says that my ticket has been issued as an electronic ticket and that i will not receive a paper ticket.

So that means that when is the time to board on plane i don't need to have any papers with me?Only my ID?The strange thing is that when i go to the official site at the online services there is an option that says ''View my E-ticket''.There i can see a document that could be used as an actual ticket.Don't i have to print that?

One other thing is that there are many check-in options and i am confused as to which i should use.There is the self check in option which i dont think i could use since the airport from which i will depart doesn't have a Turkish Airlines machine.There is the check in online which says i can check in 24 hours before the flight.Also i think i can check in on a desk at the airport right?Are all the check in options the same?

Last thing i want to ask is about my baggage.My ticket says that i have the option of Free Baggage Allowance until 20kg but it doesn't specify if i can have it with me on my cabin or i should leave it at a drop desk.If i remember correctly when i was booking my ticket i didn't even had a choice

Sorry for the many questions but i am really confused......
Welcome to FT.

Most of us have been dealing with e-tickets for so long that we've forgotten what it was like before.

I always print out a copy and just stick it with my trip documents. For one thing, it helps me remember what time my flights are! But, I've seldom actually need it for anything other than that.

In terms of checkin, all the options are available. You can checkin online 24 hours before your flight, and print your boarding pass(es) then (or send them to your phone in some cases, if you prefer). If you need to check a bag there isn't even a reason to print them, as they'll do it at the same time you check your bag. (When I'm travelling I often don't have the capability to actually print available, but still check in online and just print the BPs at the airport.) Or airport checkin either at a kiosk of with a person in also an option. Most people do online checkin simply because they don't need to worry about doing so at the airport within a specific checkin window - you're already checked in! For some frequent flyers, time of checkin is one factor on where you are on the upgrade list.

In any case, if you have bags you'll need to go to an agent. If you've done online checkin the person will still need to process your bag, and they very often print new BPs as well. In most cases, I haven't needed any paperwork, they just take my passport and look me up in the system, so the paper is only handy if for some reason they can't find the record (which has never been an issue for me.) They confirm everything, hit the button, and print the luggage tag and new BPs.

If you don't have checked bags you can use your self checkin documentation to go through security, but I'd still check with the gate agent to make sure everything is in order, and they will also likely print a new boarding pass. You will absolutely need to see an agent (either up front or at the gate) if you haven't had a seat assigned.

In terms of weight allowance, the number you're seeing is for the checked bag. You're also allowed reasonable carryon as well. Some airlines are more stringent than others, all have size restrictions and some have weight as well. Some airlines don't seem to care and don't really check, others scrutinize and weigh everything. I don't know where Turkish falls on the scale.
Old Nov 8, 13, 12:20 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA 1K/2MM; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HH Gold; HY whatever-ist; Nat'l Executive.
Rossi72, welcome to FlyerTalk! As this is specific to one airline, I'll move to the forum dedicated to Turkish Airlines. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 9, 13, 6:45 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
You're also allowed reasonable carryon as well.
TK normally wants to see your hand baggage at check-in and puts a red 'cabin baggage' tag on it. They are quite flexible, though.
Old Nov 10, 13, 5:45 am
Moderator, Aer Lingus AerClub, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 10+ Badge 2018 Fly book Awards

Programs: TK*G, EI nothing, AB Silver, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The baggage allowance refers to checked baggage. You can find all the baggage information here: http://turkishairlines.com/en-ie...mation/baggage Cabin baggage is 8kg max.
Old Nov 10, 13, 11:57 am
Original Poster

My ticket says that i have Free Baggage Allowence 20kg.So i guess this means that i can't have my bag on my cabin.That sucks cause my bag wont be heavier then 5kg and it will be pretty small.I hope it doesn't get lost.....

Seems like i wont have an internet connection the last 3 days before my departure so i can't do online check in.I will have to check in at the airport.The only things i need is my ID right?
Old Nov 10, 13, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Aer Lingus AerClub, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 10+ Badge 2018 Fly book Awards

Programs: TK*G, EI nothing, AB Silver, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My ticket says that i have Free Baggage Allowence 20kg.So i guess this means that i can't have my bag on my cabin.That sucks cause my bag wont be heavier then 5kg and it will be pretty small.I hope it doesn't get lost.....

Seems like i wont have an internet connection the last 3 days before my departure so i can't do online check in.I will have to check in at the airport.The only things i need is my ID right?
If your bag is within the cabin baggage dimensions and only weighs 5kg you can bring it onboard. You will only need your ID for check in at the airport.
Old Nov 10, 13, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
If your bag is within the cabin baggage dimensions and only weighs 5kg you can bring it onboard. You will only need your ID for check in at the airport.
I can bring it onboard?That's nice since i won't have the fear of losing it cause i need to change 2 planes to reach my destination.

Thanks a lot for the info guys!
Old Nov 11, 13, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Given the questions the member is asking...

http://turkishairlines.com/en-in.../cabin-baggage

Make sure to check the prohibited items and the liquids limitations.
Old Nov 11, 13, 7:14 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I can bring it onboard?That's nice since i won't have the fear of losing it cause i need to change 2 planes to reach my destination.

Thanks a lot for the info guys!
YES. The 20k is for a checked bag, your carryon is additional.

Search this Thread