Baggage fees for a transfer to INTL flight?

Old Feb 21, 13, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP. Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz STAR
Baggage fees for a transfer to INTL flight?

Took a domestic short-haul to transfer to an International flight from USA to Asia. I had two bags as per my allowance on my International flight however VX charged me baggage for these two bags. Since the check-in person would not let me check-in unless I paid, I did so expecting to resolve it later with customer service. They also did not allow me to interline my bags with my next flight, Cathay Pacific.. even though online, it shows they are partners.

When I complained online regarding this, their response was that because it was on two separate itineraries, I must pay baggage charge. With every single other airline (and I fly alot.. just first time trying out VX), as long as my flight is within 24 hours of the other (and this was a 2 hour connection), they interline my bags for free. Besides, how can I combine a VX and CX ticket?

How is this acceptable? If this is the norm for VX... why would anyone take a connection with them?

Thanks,
Old Feb 21, 13, 8:41 am

Interline bookings made with one of their partner airlines would include transfer of your baggage. If it isn't on the same itinerary, why would they?
Old Feb 21, 13, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cringle View Post
Interline bookings made with one of their partner airlines would include transfer of your baggage. If it isn't on the same itinerary, why would they?

Exactly...I dont understand what you are upset about ...In their system it shows you only on VX...if there is no other segments going intl then prepare to pay.
Old Feb 21, 13, 9:16 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's mistake was in buying two tickets. He might and I stress might have been able to inerline at check-in for his initial domestic segment, but he didn't.

So far as VX is concerned, he was not a connecting pax, but starting a new itinerary and liable for bag fees.

The DOT rule which applies to single itineraries which originate in the USA would have provided OP with at least the baggage allowance from his first segment, throughout the itinerary.

All of this should be spelled out at the bottom of OP's e-ticket, so the fee should not have come as a surprise.

OP's handling of this is absolutely the way to go. Never worth arguing with a CSR at the counter about DOT rules. Far better to simply point out the error in the hope that it gets fixed, pay with a CC and then work to resolve after the itinerary is complete. If it's a DOT violation, a chargeback is appropriate. Here, the carrier was completely justified and should likely have charged the fee.
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:07 pm

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by sarahlee View Post
= Besides, how can I combine a VX and CX ticket?

=
From website: "

Cathay Pacific
Cathay Pacific and Virgin America now offer simple connections to Hong Kong and beyond onboard some of the best products in the skies. Cathay Pacific flies to San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), and New York (JFK), where guests can stopover or immediately connect to or from a Virgin America flight. Just book your flights through Cathay Pacific's call center at 800-233-2742 or your travel agent."

Not exactly the most convenient booking method, but it is spelled out pretty clearly.
Old Feb 21, 13, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP. Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz STAR
I think you guys have misunderstood

I asked to interline at the initial check-in. This is something that is always ok'ed at every single airline for my 100+ trips I've done this. It doesn't matter if its on the same itins or different itins. They always see I am connecting to an international flight and allow for the bags to go all the way through WITHOUT a charge.

Why does Virgin not understand this?
Old Feb 22, 13, 3:10 am

But it does matter. You can't just ask for it to become an interline booking. In this case, it's only considered an interline booking if the reservation is made all at the same time through one of Virgin America's interline partners, with all the flights on the same itinerary.

Last edited by cringle; Feb 22, 13 at 4:12 am
Old Feb 22, 13, 9:41 am

I asked to interline at the initial check-in. This is something that is always ok'ed at every single airline for my 100+ trips I've done this. It doesn't matter if its on the same itins or different itins. They always see I am connecting to an international flight and allow for the bags to go all the way through WITHOUT a charge.

Why does Virgin not understand this?
Do you have actual examples when you booked separate domestic/intl itineraries and successfully interlined at the check-in counter? Outside of partners in an actual airline alliance (Star, OneWorld, etc.) I have never heard of this being possible. Even within an alliance, I don't think it's a guarantee that you would be able to if they were on separate itineraries.
Old Feb 22, 13, 12:11 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by ag99251 View Post
Do you have actual examples when you booked separate domestic/intl itineraries and successfully interlined at the check-in counter? Outside of partners in an actual airline alliance (Star, OneWorld, etc.) I have never heard of this being possible. Even within an alliance, I don't think it's a guarantee that you would be able to if they were on separate itineraries.
I have (and other friends and family members) have done this many times with Alaska - to/from CX at YVR, TG at LAX, NH at SEA. CX was on the same ticket, but the other two were on separate itineraries.

It's not a guarantee, but even if it isn't policy, if the check-in staff are competent and willing to be helpful it's usually possible. If airlines don't have an interline agreement, then you are out of luck, but afaik pretty much all major scheduled carriers except southwest have agreements with each other.
Old Feb 22, 13, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bpe View Post
I have (and other friends and family members) have done this many times with Alaska - to/from CX at YVR, TG at LAX, NH at SEA. CX was on the same ticket, but the other two were on separate itineraries.

It's not a guarantee, but even if it isn't policy, if the check-in staff are competent and willing to be helpful it's usually possible. If airlines don't have an interline agreement, then you are out of luck, but afaik pretty much all major scheduled carriers except southwest have agreements with each other.
Good to know! I probably just never tried hard enough!
Old Feb 23, 13, 11:43 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
When I complained online regarding this, their response was that because it was on two separate itineraries, I must pay baggage charge. With every single other airline (and I fly alot.. just first time trying out VX), as long as my flight is within 24 hours of the other (and this was a 2 hour connection), they interline my bags for free.
I suspect you will find that getting charged like this happens on all US airlines now thanks to DOT "consumer protection" rules that recently went into effect.
Old Jan 10, 14, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by ag99251 View Post
I have....UA--> CX / DL-->TG
Old Jan 11, 14, 4:12 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: T.A.
Originally Posted by pigx5 View Post
I have....UA--> CX / DL-->TG
And you say this on VX's forum because.... ?
Old Jan 12, 14, 4:25 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
And you say this on VX's forum because.... ?
Would you please read the words that I quoted?
"Outside of partners in an actual airline alliance (Star, OneWorld, etc.) I have never heard of this being possible. "
Old Jan 14, 15, 3:22 pm

Does this mean that Virgin American will not charge baggage fee if it's on the same itinerary with an interlining partner? I'm having trouble finding information on their website that explicitly states this.

e.g. DFW-LAX-TPE, with VA DFW-LAX and Eva LAX-TPE, would VA charge baggage fee?

Thanks

Search this Thread